Ixalan contains 279 cards (20 basic land, 101 common, 80 uncommon, 63 rare, and 15 mythic rare) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. Ten additional cards are found in the set's planeswalker decks (2 mythic planeswalkers, 2 rares, 2 uncommons, 2 commons, and 2 common dual lands). These are numbered #280/279 to #289/279. Ten of the rares are Double-faced cards which were printed on a seperate print sheet. These appear in the rare/mythic slot of booster packs, which changes the rare to mythic rare ratio from 1:121 to 1:142. A checklist card replaces the basic land in some boosters. Five of the basic lands depict a lost Jace Beleren.The boosters feature artwork from Slash of Talons, Vicious Conquistador, Hijack, Fire Shrine Keeper and Vraska, Relic Seeker.
A complete Ixalan rare foil print sheet was leaked three months before prerelease, which caused Wizards of the Coast to re-evaluate their preview plan.
Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule", instead of the "planeswalker uniqueness rule".
This is a story about desire. It is desire for power, desire for companionship, desire for approval, desire for discovery, and everyone is racing to get what they want first. For centuries, the untamed jungles of Ixalan have hidden a coveted secret: Orazca, the city of gold, which houses a mysterious artifact, the Immortal Sun. But no secret can remain undiscovered, and no treasure can be taken uncontested. The dinosaur riding warriors of the Sun Empire and the merfolk shamans of the rival River Heralds are met by the vampire conquistadores of the Legion of Dusk and the pirates of the Brazen Coalition.
Vraska poses as a pirate on the high seas, while Jace Beleren is stranded on the plane with loss of all his memories.
The cards that represent the Story Spotlights in Ixalan are: Ixalan's Binding, Vraska's Contempt, River's Rebuke, Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca, and Perilous Voyage.
Ixalan is sold in 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card), two planeswalker decks, the Ixalan bundle and a Deck Builder's Toolkit.
There is no Masterpiece Series accompanying Ixalan.
As part of the preview season, Wizards of the Coast distributed trackable game pieces to stores, fans, volunteers, and some well-known community folk. As game pieces travelled from from geochache to geocache, the distances they travelled influenced the release of preview cards.
- Prerelease Events took place on September 23, 2017.
- Magic Online Launch: September 25, 2017
- Dino-Sized Weekend: The weekend of October 28–29, stores around the world host six-pack Sealed events, three-pack Draft events, and very special dino-sized Draft events using four packs of Ixalan instead of three.
- Mid-Season League: Running November 6 through December 3, stores can run Ixalan Mid-Season Leagues.
Ixalan features 10 tokens.
- 1/1 Vampire with Lifelink for Legion's Landing, Adanto, the First Fort, Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, Paladin of the Bloodstained, Queen's Commission and Call to the Feast
- 2/2 Illusion with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it." for Jace, Cunning Castaway
- 1/1 Merfolk with Hexproof for Deeproot Waters
- 2/2 Pirate with Menace for Fathom Fleet Captain and Vraska, Relic Seeker
- 3/3 Dinosaur with Trample for Raptor Hatchling, Thundering Spineback, Huatli, Warrior Poet and Regisaur Alpha
- 0/2 Plant with Defender for Dowsing Dagger
- Treasure Artifact (Sun Empire flavored) with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." for Pirate's Prize, Prosperous Pirates, Sailor of Means, Spell Swindle, Contract Killing, Dire Fleet Hoarder,